Correct me if I'm wrong, but old projects using old Maven builds will
not be affected by this. So we eliminate those from the discussion.

Old projects moving to new Maven builds will need to add a single
<property> in their pom, and then everything compiles fine etc. I
consider this "maintenance" and based on my experience with moving
across versions, I'd be very surprised if this was the only thing they
needed to change in their pom (very few people lock down plugin
versions, and new plugins sometimes require changes to the pom). If
they simply kept using the old Maven build they originally built their
project with, they wouldn't need to do this.

New projects using the new Maven builds will either use the default
that we are discussing (I voted for b) or declare their own default
with a single <property> in their pom.

Which of the above cases are you most concerned about??

Wayne