The clean plugin itself doesn't require this - it's probably one of
the other plugins you have bound. Maven must resolve these plugins to
discover where they fit into the lifecycle, but I'm not sure why it
would be trying to resolve other modules in the project.

- Brett

2008/5/2 jlo_gestalt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>  I am not sure this is a bug or intentional, but it's very annoying how the
>  clean phase requires all the dependencies to run. It's annoying because our
>  CI environment (like everyone else) usually executes mvn clean install.
>
>  And if I have a multi module project, when adding a new module, CI fails
>  because the clean is unable to resolve dependencies.
>
>  For example, lets say I have the following module structure where B depends
>  on A
>
>  parent
>    - module A
>    - module B (depends (A))
>
>  CI works fine for many days executing mvn clean install and then I go and
>  commit a new module C where module B depends on my new module C:
>
>  parent
>    - module A
>    - module B (depends (A, C))
>    - module C
>
>  Since my CI environment hasn't built module C yet it fails with not being
>  able to resolve dependencies. The current workaround includes remoting into
>  our CI server and manually running mvn install.
>
>  To my knowledge this has been the way it has worked since maven 1.x and has
>  got to be the most frustrating maven feature I know of (and for me there are
>  few).
>
>  Does anyone know of a way to get around this? My team is getting tired of
>  this issue. It would be great if the clean plugin wouldn't fail, or their
>  was a way to override it with a property or something. this issue also
>  exists if you increment your projects version from say 1.5-SNAPSHOT to
>  1.6-SNAPSHOT.
>
>  FYI, we also have this issue during the validate phase when adding new
>  modules. The first goal our CI envirnonment runs is to rebuild the database
>  (which we have running during the validate phase). And when we add a new
>  module or increment our version CI fails.
>  --

Brett Porter
Blog: http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/