I'd like surefire to give me the screen output which I normally see when running my tests in Eclipse.

I see surefire has piped one line of logging from this particular test into the XML report output, and that looks suspiciously like Log4j output.

I configure my JDK logging via the default logging.properties in my $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ directory - which is the one that affects the Eclipse output.

i.e. it should work with no configuration (reading the default properties file in the JDK):

Quote: " By default, the LogManager reads its initial configuration from a properties file "lib/logging.properties" in the JRE directory. If you edit that property file you can change the default logging configuration for all uses of that JRE."

As far as I can tell, Java is ignoring it when running mvn. Can that be?