I can't really send along a pom, but I can describe things in a bit more
detail...

1 - The pom with the property in it is three poms deep (there is a
grandparent)
2 - We're running at the child node level
3 - we're activating a profile within this child pom that looks like
this:

<profile>
  <id>_id_name</id>
  <activation>
    <property>
      <name>some_property</name>
    </property>
  </activation>
  <build>
    <resources>
      <resource>
      </resource>
    </resources>
  </build>
  <properties>
        <some.property>${other.value}</some.property>
  </properties>
</profile>

If ${some.property} hasn't been set, then the build hangs and scans for
projects.