Hi there,

I have been exploring the 2.0-alpha-3 release of the
maven-archetype-plugin.  Understanding that it is still in alpha
release stages I wanted to try it out.
I defined a project, (a simple web project) and then ran the following command:

mvn archetype:create-from-project -Dinteractive=true

As expected I was asked to define properties and then I was shown my
input and asked to confirm it before the new archetype was generated.
When I went to inspect the generated sources I found that my new
property values were ignored and the default values where copied from
the example project over
into the archetype pom.xml file, (properties such as groupId and
artifactId).  So for example my example project was called 'my-webapp'
and I wanted an arcetype based on that project to be call
'mycompany-archetype-webapp', but instead it had an artifactId of
'my-webapp'.

Is this a know problem?  I have looked around but was not able to find anything.

When interacting with the plugin I was shown the following property keys

archetype.groupId
archetype.artifactId
archetype.version
version
package
groupId
artifactId

I was then asked to confirm the assigned values, but it was a bit
confusing because I didn't know which keys created specific changes
for the newly generated sources.  While executing the plugin I changed
all of the keys above to have new values, but still the newly
generated archetype contained the default values as explained
previous.

Would anyone be able to explaing the properties and how they impact
the newly generated sources?  Also is this expected behaviour for the
current state of the plugin?

I really like what the plugin but this just throw me because I could
generate something, but it would still need a bit of manual
intervention after generation to make the new archetype 100%.

Many thanks
Trent