Kent,
 my 2 cents here... i m doing integ tests in my current app (it's not an
ear, but is a war made of two projects..)
Maven can help you out in 1,2,3.4, ... i believe maven has plugins to deploy
your .ear and startup an app server

integ tests, you mean interaction between different subprojects in your big
project (e.g. EAR1 and EAR2)?

i have seen some maven examples that create a separate project for
integration tests....my assumption is that
EAR1 is in project EAR1 and EAR2 is in project EAR2...

you could create a  test project that includes both EAR1 and EAR2 that
contains your integ tests... and you won't need
to include this project in any of your EAR files
same idea  appplies if you want to write integ tests for every subproject of
EAR1 and EAR2

i got this idea from the book 'Better builds with Maven', have a look
i haven't really implemented this idea in my projects - as they r not that
big.....i went as far as writng UA tests which are 'sort of' integration
tests between 2 projects,  and i have placed them in the src/test directory

this is my 2cents...  i'll appreciate any comments on this as in the near
future i'd need to do same things

regards
 marco