Have you tried to specify an earlier version of the maven-site-plugin in
your pom.xml file?

My guess would be that site plugin 2.0-beta-6 is expecting a different
version of Velocity than is available in the classpath for some reason.
I don't know why that would happen, but backing up to an earlier site
plugin version might help.

Are you using any non-standard plugins that also depend on Velocity? If
so, then it might also be worth trying to comment those out...

Regards,
Simon