I would probably set that up as follows:
Default profile (in parent pom) only specifies <modules> which are jars
War profile specifies all modules, jars and wars

When you want a jar-only build, you just execute "mvn install" at the parent.
When you want wars too, you execute "mvn install -Dpluswars" at the parent.

Wayne