Hello,
I vaguely remember reading a thread a few months ago on this topic, but
could not find it searching nabble.
The question is: how to minize duplication when setting project version
numbers in a multi-module project ? I assume at that time that the version
number should identical for a whole bunch of modules and sub-modules.

I was tempted to do the following:
In the top-level pom:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<project>
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <parent>
    <groupId>net.courtanet</groupId>
    <artifactId>Benefit</artifactId>
    <version>1.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
  </parent>
  <groupId>net.courtanet</groupId>
  <artifactId>myproject</artifactId>
  <version>${myproject.version}</version>
  <properties>
    <myproject.version>1.1-SNAPSHOT</myproject.version>
  </properties>

In the modules' poms:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<project>
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <parent>
    <groupId>net.courtanet</groupId>
    <artifactId>myproject</artifactId>
    <version>${myproject.version}</version>
  </parent>
  <groupId>net.courtanet.myproject</groupId>
  <artifactId>myproject-presentation</artifactId>

This works but I had to manually install intermediary pom artifacts. But
once this is done, I can install everything using standard reactor.

I do not feel very comfortable with this solution, because when I change my
version number, I change it in one place, but I need to do some "manual"
work for things to run smoothly. ANd I guess there may be some unforeseen
traps I may fall in.

I was wondering how other people are managing this ? Of course, when you
decouple version numebres between modules, this is not an issue as you need
to maintain links using concrete version numbers.

Best regards,
Arnaud Bailly
Courtanet