FYI, You are not allowed to use ${blah} in the project/parent/version
or project/version tags.

There are bugs in Maven that mean it won't blow up in obvious ways if
you do use ${blah} in those two tags... but it will blow up when you
least expect it

You can use ${blah} in
  project/dependencies/dependency/version
  project/dependencyManagement/dependencies/dependency/version
  project/build/plugins/plugin/version
  project/build/pluginManagement/plugins/plugin/version
  project/build/plugins/plugin/dependencies/dependency/version
  project/build/pluginManagement/plugins/plugin/dependencies/dependency/version