Best practices with Maven would suggest that you not embed the Java
files in the Web project. Rather, you should create a standard jar
project, put the Java files there, and then put a <dependency/> in the
Web project so that Jar file is brought in when the War is created.

Alternatively, you can simply create the src/main/java directory
yourself. The webapp archetype does not create this directory as it
does not comply with best practices, but there's nothing stopping you
from doing so.

I'd suggest reading more about creating J2EE projects with Maven in
"Better Builds with Maven" and other online resources.

Wayne