I'm not sure to complete understand your needs but I think using war
overlays
may fill your needs :
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-war-plugin/overlays.html

Create one war with the common stuff
Create another with the specific stuff war and with a dependency of type war
to the common war.
It will merge the common-war with the specific war ...

Manuel