There's a feature request for it in JIRA:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRESOURCES-36

AsafM wrote:
I couldn't find any option to make this plugin copy empty directories.
Any chance the developers solved that?

Wayne Fay wrote:
Not sure if this is currently possible. Check the source code to see
what configuration options are available and perhaps you'll find
something.

If its not already implemented in the resource plugin, I have to
imagine it would be a pretty simple modification (with an added
variable copyEmptyDirectories, default to false) to add this
functionality and provide a patch back to the project.

Wayne