On Aug 25, 2008, at 7:25 PM, Wendy Smoak wrote:

If you establish a parent pom, and list all five of your projects as
<modules>, Maven will figure out what order to build them in, and
compile the changed sources.

Thanks for your suggestion, but unfortunately it does not accomplish my goal. Adding a parent POM with the list of modules will do the right thing *only* if I'm compiling the parent POM. If I'm compiling any other module, Maven simply ignores the dependencies.

As I said, I want to be able to go to appA's directory and type:

mvn compile

Since Maven knows appA's dependencies, it should be able to figure out that if a source file in libB is out-of-date, it should compile libB first. Likewise, if I compile libB but libA is out-of-date, Maven should know to compile libA before proceeding.

I'm guessing this just isn't possible in Maven?

Trevor