We  have recently switched to the scrum development process, and are forced
to rethink our maven versioning scheme.  There will be multiple scrum teams
working with the same code-base.  Each team will aim to have a release each
sprint, but occasionally a release will be planned for one sprint but pushed
back to the next.

Can anyone reccomend a maven versioning scheme that fits the scrum
development process well?

The first scheme that comes to mind is <Development Group
Identifier>.<Sprint Number>.<Candidate Number>.

Development Group Identifier: Identifies which scrum team owns the version.

Sprint number: Specifies which sprint the code is intended to be released
in.  This may change if a release gets postponed, for instance a project may
be developed as 1.3.0-SNAPSHOT and end up being released in sprint 4 so the
release version would be 1.4.0.

Candidate number: Each release to QA has a distinct candidate number.  If QA
rejects the candidate then development works on the next candidate
(incrementing number), and releases this candidate to QA when it is ready.
This will give QA a permanent version number for each artifact they perform
a test cycle on.

Thanks for the input