Carlos,

the profiles are indeed active by default, which contradicts the Maven POM
schema(!) Perhaps there's another schema that applies to external profiles
such as in my case since I was using profiles.xml (or I'm not interpreting
the schema correctly). Oh well, it doesn't really matter now.

Once I specified <activeByDefault>false</activeByDefault> on one of the
profiles, 'mvn help:active-profiles' did indeed report that profile as
inactive.

It now works as expected, once I tagged all profiles in profiles.xml as
<activeByDefault>false</activeByDefault>. I can now activate a profile by
specifying -P <profile id>, which is exactly what I wanted.

Thanks!