fyi, this is a bug in maven-war-plugin 2.1-alpha-2. I have filed a bug for
it:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MWAR-168

these incorrectly reported messages do not appear in maven-war-plugin 2.0.2.

try:
mvn clean;
mvn install;
mvn install;

with both 2.0.2 and 2.1-alpha-2. during the 3rd command you will see these
messages with 2.1-alpha-2 and not with 2.0.2.

what is not clear to me is why 'alpha' versions make it into the releases
repository. I previously did not set my version for the maven-war-plugin.
2.1-alpha-2 is the default version. In the Maven world, I thought alpha/beta
versions = SNAPSHOTS.