Wayne, you state that the groupId, artifactId and version are always used
when publishing to a repo, so I tried specifying ${buildNumber} as the
version, as in
 <version>${buildNumber}</version>

However, this didn't get interpolated correctly, leading to an artifact in
my repo called ArtifactId-${buildNumber}.

If I do the same using a "normal" property, as in:
<version>${my.property}</version>
<properties>
   <my.property>111</my.property>
</properties>

Then I get an ArtifactId-111 in my repo.

Does this seem like a bug in the build number plugin, that it isn't
interpolating correctly, or that the ${buildNumber} is a kind of property
that doesn't get interpolated when specified in a <version>...</version>
section?

Is this the same problem as
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MOJO-909
?