From: John Brady [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 9:28 AM
To: Baptiste MATHUS
Cc: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: Maven won't run offline (maven-deploy-plugin). Can I use
ant for deploy phase?

I have looked into option three, but the team is only deploying to their
own
machines.  Therefore, I want everyone developer to have their own full
repository so they do not have to download anything and can work fully
offline with the ability to deploy a war file to their own machine.
Does
that make more sense?

Option 2 seems feasible and clean.  I will look into that.

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 4:36 PM, Baptiste MATHUS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well, before doing that, did you study a bit how maven works by
default?

> You're speaking about designing an "internal" repository so that
things run
> faster.
> * First, do you know that maven already maintains a cached version of
what
> was downloaded?
> * Second, if you really really want to proceed this way, though it
still
> seems weird to me, why don't you just run mvn so that it would
reactivate
> online bevahiour just to be able to deploy? I guess it'd be far
cleaner that
> dealing with ant call to maven to whatever?!?
> * Third (last but not least), what you seem to be speaking about:
improving
> downloading time, bandwidth and so on is already a very common use cas
for
> maven. To do that, you usually put a "corporate" maven repository
between
> you (and your team) and the public ones. To know more about that, just
crawl
> google for words like "maven repository manager", "maven archiva",
"maven
> nexus"... I guess this is rather what you should look into, even more
if you
> plan to deploy what you're doing to other machines than yours.
>
> HTH.
>
> Cheers.
>
> 2008/9/15 John Brady <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>> I want to setup an internal repository that each developer will have
on
>> their own repository on their machine so that builds will be faster.
So
>> basically I ran mvn offline to get all my dependencies and put them
in a
>> repository.  this repository will be able to be checked into svn if
any
>> developer updates and files.  But the problem I face is not being
able to
>> deploy in offline mode, which leads back to whether or not using ant
is the
>> way to go or is there a way to make maven allow the deploy plugin to
run in
>> offline mode
>>

>> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Baptiste MATHUS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>>> The answer to your question is no. You obviously don't have to run
ant to
>>> be able to use the deploy plugin...
>>>
>>> The real question is: why do you have maven configured to run
offline
>>> (see http://maven.apache.org/settings.html#Simple_Values to check
the
>>> documentation if necessary) or why you run mvn -o instead of simply
mvn.
>>> Check your settings.xml file to see if running offline is really
what you
>>> want.
>>>
>>> I guess you should explain why you run offline and how you
configured the
>>> offline mode.
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>>
>>> 2008/9/15 John Brady <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>>
>>> I want to be able to run a deploy goal while offline, however since
this

C:\Documents

Settings\jxbrady\.m2\repository\com\putnam\mops\mops\2.0-SNAPSHOT\mops-2

http://stubbisms.wordpress.com/2008/08/28/maven-is-to-ant-as-a-nail-gun-

is-to-hammer-and-nails-you-need-to-move-on/<http://stubbisms.wordpress.c