previously, we use a tool combine with maven1.0 and ant to manage our build
process. now we decide to transfer the platform to maven 2.0, the major
problem the artifacts we made by our own format, thanks to
artifactory<http://www.jfrog.org/sites/artifactory/latest/> ,
we can use it function "import from path", first transfer our artifacts into
maven's format and generate the pom.xml,but there is problem, when deploy a
SNAPSHOT, the maven will generate a maven-metadata.xml to describe the
artifact's information, can anyone tell me how maven generate this
metadata.xml escpecially what's this file means?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<metadata> <groupId>com.mycompany.notify</groupId>