On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 6:38 AM, Kalle Korhonen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Also, if only few modules see activity, wouldn't it be easy to just release
> and version the stable parts separately, rather than always building
> everything?

Your development process should be:
* Build in your IDE mostly - very quick
* When ready to smoke test locally run the build - no greater than 10
minutes (http://martinfowler.com/articles/continuousIntegration.html)
* Have your CI system build and email breakages

We have a large Eclipse PDE client/server build with EJBs etc that
takes 13 minutes.
7 of those is the crappy way eclipse PDE builds jar files by appending
to it and the jar file being built 700Mb. And we build from the root
of the project.

Maven isn't the bottle neck here.

Look at what you are building and see if you can fix the bottle necks.
Or alternatively only build the modules that you need and rely on CI
to pull in newer versions of the other artifacts.