You can reindex your local catalog from the preferences page of your Maven
Plugin (M2Eclipse or q4E) in the Eclipse IDE

You can also update your local archetype catalog using the maven archetype
plugin, like this:
mvn archetype:crawl

It'll check your local repo and generate the archetype-catalog.xml file
(with the info of your locally installed archetypes) at the root of your
repo.

You can, then, copy it to your ~/.m2/ folder

If you wish to use it from your console, just hit the next command:

mvn archetype:generate -DarchetypeCatalog=local

My regards...