Hi Karl Heinz!

On 29 Sep 2008, Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:

> i have a little problem with the release:prepare running in Maven.
>
> I have a mutli module setup which seemed to be ok....
>
> parent
>   +--- Module A (depends on C) (result in tar.gz)
>   +--- Module B
>   +--- Module C
>   +--- Module WAR
>   +--- Module D (Tomcat with .war from Module WAR as a .tar.gz)
>   +--- Module E (only multiple tar.gz with config files; no java code)
>   +--- Module project (which comprise of the above as .tar.gz)
>
> after running mvn release:prepare i allway get an "Failed to resolve
> artifact." message...

In which module do you get the error message?

> What i have observed is, if i delete the contents of my local repository
> and try to do an mvn package this will fail the first time....
> If i do a mvn install before everything is fine....

We are having the same problem here with EARs and skinny WARs. It's been
a while since I last looked what the problem is but our problem is
definitely related to the skinny WAR problem [0] and your's might be too.
The workaround we are using is to run "mvn install" whenever such a
problem occurs.

> I'm not sure but it seemed to me there is something wrong in my
> dependencies...but i'm not sure where to search for....

Try running mvn -X to see where your dependencies come from. Search the
output for "selected for runtime" and "from the repository". This might
lead you on the right track.

hth,
- martin

[0] http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Solving+the+Skinny+Wars+problem