I think you are mis-interpreting what I said.

You have the following structure

/pom.xml (agregator)
 +suite/pom.xml (the suite dependencies)
 +client/pom.xml (the client thing we are building)
 +web/pom.xml (the web ting we are building)

If you have only one corporate pom (not shown on the tree) then you
can get away with everything ultimately inheriting from the corporate
pom by having a parent tree like

/pom.xml ---is-a-child-of---> /suite/pom.xml
/client/pom.xml ---is-a-child-of---> /suite/pom.xml
/web/pom.xml ---is-a-child-of---> /suite/pom.xml
/suite/pom.xml ---is-a-child-of---> corporate-pom.xml

And you'd put your dependencyManagement in /suite/pom.xml

The question is why have this <scope>import</scope>

The reason is you may have corporate standards for different
packagings... and they may not work in the one pom.xml

In that case you would have

corporate-root-pom.xml
corporate-jar-pom.xml ---is-a-child-of---> corporate-root-pom.xml
corporate-war-pom.xml ---is-a-child-of---> corporate-root-pom.xml

And then
/pom.xml ---is-a-child-of---> corporate-aggregator-pom.xml
/client/pom.xml ---is-a-child-of---> corporate-jar-pom.xml
/web/pom.xml ---is-a-child-of---> corporate-war-pom.xml

Now the problem is how do I ensure that client and web have the same
dependencyMangement sections?

The answer is import scope.... so in that case you have

/suite/pom.xml ---is-a-child-of---> corporate-root-pom.xml
/client/pom.xml ---is-a-child-of---> corporate-jar-pom.xml with
dependency on /suite/pom.xml: scope=import
/web/pom.xml ---is-a-child-of---> corporate-war-pom.xml with
dependency on /suite/pom.xml: scope=import

I was explaining *why* you would want import scope.  I don't know *if*
import scope works... only *why* one would want it in the first place

- Stephen