Hi all,
I would like to include or exclude a dependency based on the presence of
an artifact on the global class path.

For example, I have a database project. The user will include a
dependency on it in his own pom. The user will also add a JDBC driver
artifact. My database project should be able to declare additional
dependencies depending on the presence of specific JDBC drivers
artifacts, for example a database-mysql-dialect if the mysql-connector
is used, or the database-postgres-dialect if the postgres driver is used.

Whle it is possible to check at runtime, using reflection and the like,
the presence of a given class, it lacks versioning, it is not a clean
way, it clutters the main package code with stuff that could (and
should) be placed in different artifacts.

I don't know any way to do this in Maven right now. Theoretically, it
could be achieved with profile activation, if there was a profile
activation based on the presence of an artifact or at least on the
presence of classpath resources instead of plain files. Is it possible
to implement such a profile activator? Has anybody ever done something
like this? Has anybody had the same need and investigated a way to solve it?

Thanks in advance,
Simone

--
Simone Gianni            CEO Semeru s.r.l.           Apache Committer
MALE human being programming a computer   http://www.simonegianni.it/