The functionality provided by xsltc-m-p is sufficiently different from
xml-m-p that it should probably not be removed without at least
discussing things.

Here's more documentation on XSLTC, many people are unaware of it:
http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/xsltc_usage.html

In short, you include a XSLT file in your source code, then use XSLTC
to compile it to a Java class which you can then invoke to execute the
XSLT against a given XML file/node, and it is quite fast as it is
compiled Java bytecode and can easily be cached etc. For people who
are doing "a lot" of XSL transforms in their codebase, it is quite a
nice tool.

XSLTC helped us address some performance issues we had a while back in
a particular project that ballooned from just a handful of users to
hundreds of users in a very short period of time.

Wayne