Hola!

Pre conditions: I have a number of similar projects, i.e. a number of maven
plugins are identically configured. I have solved this by putting all (most)
plugins in a super-project (pom-packaging), partly in a profile, partly in
pluginManagement:

<project>
        <artifactId>super</artifactId>
        <packaging>pom</packaging>
        <profiles>
                <profile>
                        <id>generatesources</id>
                        <build>
                                <plugins>
                                </plugins>

        <build>
                <pluginManagement>
                        <plugins>
                                <plugin>
                                        plugin_1 definition and its
configuration
                                </plugins>
</project>

<project>
        <parent>
                <artifactId>super</artifactId>
        <artifactId>child_1</artifactId>
        <packaging>jar</packaging>
        <build>
                <plugins>
                        <plugin>
                                plugin_1 definition and NO config
                        </plugins>
</project>

Everything is working fine if I, when I execute the child_1-project,
activate the profile "generatesources":

~/dev/child_1$>mvn install -P generatesources

BUT to be able to sell the concept of Maven to the organisation I think one
should not need to activate profiles as default, but rather like
"-Dmaven.test.skip=true" and "-o" DEACTIVATE features. One way to achieve
this would be:

<project>
        <artifactId>super</artifactId>
        <profiles>
                <profile>
                        <id>generatesources</id>
                        <activation>
                                <activeByDefault>true</activeByDefault>
                        </activation>

The problem occurs when I build the super-project and the profile is active,
i.e. tries to act on stuff not present in the super-project. In Maven 2.0.10
there is apparently a flag "!" to be used to inactivate profiles:

~/dev/super$>mvn install -P !generatesources

but how to achieve this (or like the subject of this message implies) before
2.0.10 is released?

regards
-Martin