Thanks, that helps, but the build still fails on the install with the
same error because "child3" still depends on "child1" which isn't
installed yet.

However, this does somewhat simplify my procedure...

New procedure:

1. "mvn release:prepare" (build will fail with message described
below, but the pom versions will be updated)
2. for each module, in order: "mvn -N -DskipTests=true install"
3. "mvn release:clean" (clean up the last failed release)
4. "mvn release:prepare" (should work this time)
5. "mvn release:perform"

Again, if anyone can help simplify this process (especially step #2
above), please let me know.

Thanks,

-Ryan