i thought you incorporated the link you want in the links group element as seen
here
            <plugin>
                <configuration>
                    <links>
                        <link>http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/docs/api</link>
                    </links>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>

If you want to use offline mode try specifying offlineLinks as in this example
maven.javadoc.offlineLinks= \

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/#/opt/java-apidoc/j2sdk1.4.1/docs/api/,
\
  http://maven.apache.org/apidocs/#/cvsroot/maven/target/docs/apidocs/
Anyone?
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note
Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relates to the official business
of Sender. This transmission is of a confidential nature and Sender does not
endorse distribution to any party other than intended recipient. Sender does
not necessarily endorse content contained within this transmission.