It turns out this was my bug.

In my parent (root) pom.xml I have the following to exclude System tests
based on a naming convention:

      <plugin>
        <version>2.3</version>
        <configuration>
          <excludes>
            <exclude>**/*SystemTest.java</exclude>
          </excludes>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>

However, I had a >maven-surefire-plugin configured in my child project
pom.xml where I forgot to exclude system tests the same way. So please
ignore my message.