I'm really confused about the pluginManagement section. It seems arbitrary and unnecessary. For instance, in the Chapter 6 example from "Maven: The Definitive Guide", there is the following declaration:

<build>
    <pluginManagement>
        <plugins>
            <plugin>
                <configuration>
                    <source>1.5</source>
                    <target>1.5</target>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>
        </plugins>
    </pluginManagement>
</build>

Without this declaration, the project fails to compile because the source code uses Java 1.5 syntax.

However -- and this is the part that baffles me -- if you simply remove the pluginManagement tags (leaving the plugins section intact), it still works perfectly!

Can someone point me to an example where pluginManagement actually serves a purpose? Thanks,

Trevor