From: David Delbecq [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 11:17 AM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: specifying "latest" for a dependency

En l'instant précis du 19/11/08 17:01, Todd Thiessen s'exprimait en ces
termes:

> I think my biggest confusion was the naming convension here. The term
> "SNAPSHOT" typically means a fixed state of something at a particular
> point in time. However, in Maven it isn't fixed at all. It is in
> constant flux. A better name for SNAPSHOT would of been something like
> LATEST-DEV.

I see no confusion. More over, snapshot are fixed. What you did not fix
however, in your pom it which snapshot to use, so maven choose to download the
latest snapshot. SNAPSHOT is a good term for an automated daily build.
LATEST-DEV would be more, to me, like asking maven to connect to version
control an do a build from it.

Example of using a fixed snapshot:

<version>1.0-beta-3-20080505.072643-6</version>

This will fix dependency to that explicit snapshot made on 05/05/2008 of
1.0-beta3
while
<version>1.0-beta3-SNAPSHOT</version>
will point always to latest snapshot of 1.0-beta3

--
David Delbecq
ICT