My plugin run without pom, and I use this command to run it:        mvn
com.mycompany.maven.plugins:maven-myplugin-plugin:1.0-SNAPSHOT:exec
here is the error message:

> GroupId: com.mycompany.maven.plugins

ArtifactId: maven-myplugin-plugin

Version: 1.0-SNAPSHOT

>   com.mycompany.maven.plugins:maven-myplugin-plugin:pom:1.0-SNAPSHOT
>

> from the specified remote repositories:

  tbmirror-central (http://192.168.207.161:8081/artifactory/repo)

but if I upgrade the version to 1.0,and it works!!
       mvn com.mycompany.maven.plugins:maven-myplugin-plugin:1.0:exec

here is the Message:
[INFO] Scanning for projects...

Downloading:
> http://192.168.207.161:8081/artifactory/repo/com/mycompany/maven/plugins/maven-myplugin-plugin/1.0/maven-myplugin-plugin-1.0.pom

Downloading:
> http://192.168.207.161:8081/artifactory/repo/com/mycompany/maven/plugins/maven-myplugin-plugin/1.0/maven-myplugin-plugin-1.0.pom

[INFO]

[ERROR] BUILD ERROR

[INFO]

I am sure the Maven Core wont download my plugin when the version is
1.0-SNAPSHOT, can throw a "Unable to download" exception,
Maybe you should try the two command in your own machine:
        mvn
com.mycompany.maven.plugins:maven-myplugin-plugin:1.0-SNAPSHOT:exec
        mvn com.mycompany.maven.plugins:maven-myplugin-plugin:1.0:exec
you Will see the second one, the Maven will try to download the plugin,but
the first one,it do nothing, that's  ridiculous!