If you did a revision copy, you would have to do commit to capture the
changes to the POM. You couldn't do a straight revision copy.  So the
situation now become more complicated.

If you checkout revision x, someone may commit before you release
incrementing the revision to x+1. You then run your prepare,
incrementing the revision to x+2 to change the version of your pom to a
released version.  So you now have to copy revision x+2 of your pom to
your tags folder but use revision x for everything else.

The best solution I see is to not commit the changes to the POM which
changes the version to a released version and continue to do a working
copy as the plugin does now.

Thoughts?

---
Todd Thiessen