re why would you want to? I've been looking at
http://www.nabble.com/Release-aggregating-parent-poms-td20852139.html
relasing aggregating parent poms  - when releasing an aggregating parent
whose children have their own independent release cycles, such as the apache
maven maven-plugins suite, you need to ignore the child modules. Take a look
at the released versions of the maven-plugins project, the <modules> section
is commented out and then uncommented back in trunk, becuase they are not
releasing all the sub-modules (which are the actual plugins), I was looking
for a way of selectively limiting the reactor (similar to -N) rather than
commenting them out.