On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 9:12 AM, Todd Thiessen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This causes fewer "freezes" of the main trunk. Someone can do a formal
> release and other devs can still commit to trunk and only see those
> changes in SNAPSHOT versions where they can get some soak before making
> a formal release.  Once the release checkout is made, what is in the
> working copy should be exactly what is released.

Yep. Importantly, it needs to be what's in the working copy - in case
the preparation goals update some files on purpose (for example, we
use OSGi, and use the preparation goals to update our MANIFEST.MF
files so the versions match the POM versions).

If this isn't going to work in SVN going forward, we may need to
introduce an additional (optional?) trunk commit into the release
process prior to the tag. (How does this work in other SCMs?)

- John