> Firstly, we've created our own packaging type (atg-module).  This
> packaging type generates a jar and a zip.  The zip is what has the scope
> of "provided".  This isn't a compile time dependency and we did NOT want
> the zip showing up in every jar generated where there is a dependency on
> said zip.
>
> So the scope of provided is used.
>
> The dependency list is used for generating a special manifest file for
> the consumer of these modules.  I say special because this is a
> non-standard java manifest file so there aren't options for things we
> needed to tuck in there or the ordering we needed etc.

Seems like the transitive provided dependencies would -have- to be
there, on a compile classpath for example.

How are you accessing these dependencies again? You shouldn't have to
go through this 'pretend it's a compile-time dependency and then
exclude it later' rigmarole.

Then again I may be showing my lack of experience with provided-scope
dependencies.

- John