On Tuesday 16 December 2008 Trevor Harmon wrote:
> Let me use a different plugin as an example. Let's say I'm developing
> a desktop application, and it runs in two different modes depending on
> the command-line options. I don't want to keep typing in the same long
> string of options all the time, so I pickle them into two separate Ant
> targets, "mode1" and "mode2". Then I can run them like this:
>
> ant mode1
> ant mode2

I would say that is what profiles are for: to configure plugin's in
different ways.

But that is not even similar to ant's tasks. It's switching the build
configuration, not executing another task.

And BTW: Maven's primary goal is to help building and packaging software,
not starting the developed piece of software, so IMHO the exec-plugin is
not a good example here.

hth,
- martin