You need to bind the plugin to a phase in them lifecycle.

It sounds like you are rushing ahead without reading a basic primer on
Maven's concepts.

The Sonatype book is good, and available free online and there are other
good tutorials.  A 3-4 hours quick skim is most definitely not a waste of
your time.

-Stephen