> Why does it all of a sudden switch from the version I want (R2_5_653H1) to
> SNAPSHOT here?

Bugs have been filed in Jira against various Maven2 versions involving
the dotted notation of properties. Specifically, it seems like
anything before the final dot is sometimes ignored, so
this.is.a.property.version is evaluated as simply version which is
usually project.version.

I'd replace your dots with underlines and see if you have different
results. I moved away from dots entirely the first time this bug hit
me a while back. I can't give you a specific Jira to look at/follow
but I'm sure you could find it/one of them (I feel like there are a
couple).

Wayne