This was eagerly awaited. Thanks for the good work!

However, I've found one minor difference that caused a change in my assembly
descriptors when upgrading from 2.2-beta-1 to 2.2-beta-3. So far, it was
possible to exclude an entire directory from a fileset just by listening its
name, as in the following exclude ('bin' folder):

<fileSet>
        <directory>assemblies/minimal/src/main/release</directory>
        <outputDirectory>/</outputDirectory>
        <excludes>
                <exclude>bin</exclude>
        </excludes>
</fileSet>

With the upgrade to beta-3 this does not to work any longer because the
target assembly contained the bin folder (and its content). I had to replace
the exclude tag as follows:

<fileSet>
        <directory>assemblies/minimal/src/main/release</directory>
        <outputDirectory>/</outputDirectory>
        <excludes>
                <exclude>bin/**</exclude>
        </excludes>
</fileSet>

I cross checked the maven-assembly-plugin Web site for documentation of the
pattern format without success. I guess, somewhere, it is documented, but I
couldn't find it (as fast as I would like to). It would be good to update
the documentation and add links to the place where the pattern format is
documented.

Regards,
Thorsten