I suggest creating a separate project, e.g. "TestFramework", and place those
types of reusable test classes in its src/main/java.  Then, the other
projects can depend on it for the test scope.

-----Original Message-----
From: Giovanni Azua [mailto:brave...@swissonline.ch]
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 1:15 PM
To: 'Maven Users List'
Subject: where to place Test support/reusable fixture classes?

Hi,

I have a multi module project and in one of the top nodes of the dependency
tree I would like to place a Test support class i.e.

AbstractHibernateHSQLTestCase extends junit.framework.TestCase

This class provides automatic database shutdown of HSQL in memory based test
cases to prevent the creation of the inconvenient test.lck and test.log
files.

My problem is that I don't know where to place this utility class. Ideally I
would place it in the test branch of module A but then it will not be
inherited by sub-modules that depend on A say B and C. On the other hand if
I place it under the java branch of module A, then A will compile/runtime
depend on JUnit which I want to avoid at all costs.

I remember I had this same problem trying to define reusable test fixtures
classes but in the hurry I ended up duplicating the fixture classes under
each sub-module.

TIA,
Regards,
Giovanni