I can't imagine why it would matter if you start and stop Tomcat through its own shell script. If you're doing so for integration testing purposes, you're probably better off using the Cargo plugin to wrap the Tomcat container.

However, you can probably configure the Exec plugin to do what you want to do by binding the executions to a couple of different phases in the build lifecycle. For instance:

<executions>
  <execution>
     <id>startTomcat</id>
     <phase>pre-integration-test</phase>
     <goals>
        <goal>exec</exec>
     </goals>
     <configuration>
        <executable>startup.bat</executable>
     </configuration>
  </execution>
  <execution>
     <id>stopTomcat</id>
     <phase>post-integration-test</phase>
     <goals>
        <goal>exec</exec>
     </goals>
     <configuration>
        <executable>shutdown.bat</executable>
     </configuration>
  </execution>
</executions>

One really good reason to avoid using the method you're trying to use is that it's not portable. Try to execute that on any Unix system, and it's going to choke all over itself - unless you start modifying the names of the Tomcat execution scripts. You're also depending on the scripts to be on the execution path, which is a dangerous assumption.

Good luck!
Dave

Sathyanarayanan Nagarajan wrote:
Hi,

I have a reqmt to execute start, stop tomcat through its shell script. How
can i do this in maven? In Ant, we have exec command and i can configure
targets for stop and start.I read through the usage of  Exec maven plugin
and configured this

        <execution>
            <goals>
              <goal>exec</goal>
            </goals>
          </execution>
        </executions>
        <configuration>
          <executable>startup.bat</executable>
          <!-- optional -->
          <workingDirectory>D:\apache-tomcat-6.0.16\bin</workingDirectory>
          <arguments/>
        </configuration>

While i'm able to do a tomcat start, i'm not sure how i can do a tomcat stop
as the xml configuration doesn't seem to support multile exec commands.

Rgds,
Sathya