Ok, funny enough, I have set the format in nexus to maven2, but it still
insists on storing it in legacy format... strange...
Could this be a bug in nexus? we are using an older beta version ...

The meta data file very correctly says the incorrect build number and
timestamp:

<versioning>
-
<snapshot>
<timestamp>20090213.090140</timestamp>
<buildNumber>303</buildNumber>
</snapshot>
-
<versions>
<version>1.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
<version>4.2.2-SNAPSHOT</version>

It seems this timestamp & buildnumber refers to another artifact in the same
directory?!? I can see why the legacy format is messed up... :-(