The issue to us was fairly simple: We had a working build process. The
developers knew the project. Everything was fine and dandy. We moved
to Maven and lost three weeks of work. Developers don't understand the
new process as well as the old process, we've fallen behind schedule.

We had a strong build process. Granted, we spent a long time working
with Ant to make the process strong and stable, but moving to Maven
wouldn't give me back the time we spent. Maven gave us a standard way
we setup a project, so developers will be familiar with it, but we
already had that. Yes, new developers will have to learn the quirks,
but now the current developers are stuck learning the new Maven way in
a project they knew backwards and forwards.

So, where did moving to Maven in this particular project benefit us?
Was it worth the bad will generated? Was it worth the time we took
which could have been spent doing actual coding?

In our evaluation, the costs outweighed the benefits. We didn't get a
better build process out of it. It didn't make our project easier to
work with. And, it ended up costing us a lot of time and effort.

We aren't abandoning Maven. We are still using it for new projects. We
are still moving some older projects off of our old system and onto
Maven. Sooner or later, those older projects we decided not to move to
Maven will be "rearchitected". At that time, we'll probably insist
they convert over to Maven.

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 11:19 AM, Jon Georg Berentsen
<jon.georg.berent...@objectware.no> wrote:

> [...]

David Weintraub
qazw...@gmail.com