On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 3:56 PM, Les Hazlewood <l...@hazlewood.com> wrote:

> I have a build that must run every 5 minutes or so in a Continuous
> Integration server.  It must do this because it downloads information that
> exists outside of a Maven artifact repository or any build environment and
> must regularly check to see if information has changed.  If the information
> source has changed in any way, my Maven build must create a new SNAPSHOT
> .jar to reflect the change.
>
> If the information doesn't change, a new .jar should never be created or
> deployed to the repository.  This is to avoid uploading a new snapshot .jar
> every 5 minutes to the repository, and consequently having developers all
> download this snapshot as a dependency every time they build (yuck).

How about having something outside the build process do the
monitoring, and kick off a build only when it sees a change?  Your CI
server probably has a way to force a build with a program or script.

You could still run the monitoring process in the build server if
that's important, it would just be a separate build.  The full project
build wouldn't happen on a schedule, but only when requested.

--
Wendy