And here are some instructions for that:

 http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-mirror-settings.html

Ian Petzer wrote:
Ratna,

Now that you have a better understanding of the settings.xml file, I would
recommend that you specify a mirror for the main maven site that is located
close to you geographically. Encourage the rest of your team to do the same,
or even think about putting in a local repository for your organisation.

Your Maven will run faster due to a lower latency connection and you'll be
less load on the Maven servers.

Ian