Okay - after some google codesearching, and minimal testing, the following
appears to address the problem:

In the execute() of the Mojo for the goal which precedes the jar:jar one,
add the following:

project.getArtifact().setArtifactHandler(new MyArtifactHandler());

where MyArtifactHandler is defined as extending
org.apache.maven.artifact.handler.DefaultArtifactHandler, so as to override
the getLanguage() method with a version which returns "java".

One or two pom.xml mods are also required, to ensure that ".jar" is used
instead of .${project.packaging}.

Please could anyone knowledgeable comment on the above. I don't remember
seeing this in any instructions for writing plug-ins.