As far as I know, it's not expected behaviour. If you can create a jira issue with a sample project to reproduce this, I'm sure someone can take a look.

Also, try version 2.4.3 since that is the latest.

Jaikiran wrote:
I am using Maven surefire plugin 2.4.2 with the following configurations:

<plugin>
        <configuration>
          <testFailureIgnore>false</testFailureIgnore>
          <forkMode>always</forkMode>
        </configuration>
</plugin>

I have intentionally set testFailureIgnore=false (i.e. the default value),
so that if the test fails the build process fails. However when my tests
fail with ERROR, i see that irrespective of this property value, the rest of
the build is carried out and the build reports a SUCCESS.

A bit of debugging and playing with the forkMode, shows that the
testFailureIgnore=false results in the build to fail (which is what i
expect) *only* when the forkMode is set to "never". Setting the forkMode to
always or once always results in a successful build irrespective of the
testFailureIgnore setting.

Is this the expected behaviour?