On 31-Mar-09, at 11:40 AM, Jason Van Zyn wrote:

>> As long as there is a unique coordinate Maven is fine. Aside from
that
>> having the exact same artifactId also just leads to problems. Try
putting
>> them in the same assembly, try to visually identify which one is
which in
>> different directories. For the possible aggravation I opt for what
will
>> cause the least amount of hassle.

Ok, I see that -- the fact that groupIds are not included in the
artifact file naming pattern means that they cannot serve as a namespace
for artifactIds, in the sense of being sufficient to establish
uniqueness.

That leaves two issues:

(1) The need for globally unique artifactIds for things that might end
up in the same project. Without the "com.mycompany" sort of convention,
that's hard to do. If I'm including two third party artifacts that
happen to share an artifactId, it sounds as though I'm in some trouble.

(2) Is Maven consistent about artifactId (plus version) as a unique
identifier? Is that documented somewhere? Will I get errors if I try to
assemble a war or ear from artifacts that have different groupIds, but
the same artifactId, regardless of whether the versions match?

-- Bryan